Monday, November 22, 2010

Menu-Planning and Meatless Mondays

My menu plan this week was pretty easy as we share Thanksgiving dinner at two different houses on two different days so I only needed to come up with five meals this week.  We end up with left overs from both houses so I probably will get some turkey for lunches.
Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only times I will go off my meatless diet to eat Turkey..I take a lot of Benedryl to make me feel the symptoms of my allergy less.  If worse comes to worse I end up really sick and down a day..but hey..I love me the turkey!


Meatless Monday-Vegetarian Minestrone

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 cup carrots, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup barley
4 cups vegetable broth
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped kale
1 can (16 ounces) canned white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute then add the barley.

Stir in broth, tomatoes, kale, and beans. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes then add pasta. Add zucchini. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.

Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.

Tuesday-Chicken/Rice/Green Beans

Wednesday-Spaghetti

Thursday-Family dinner

Friday-Eat out (I promised Jake BW3's for good grades)

Saturday-Family Dinner

Sunday-Potato Pierogi

No comments:

Post a Comment